Saturday, February 9, 2008

Every Nasty Detail

After a casual conversation on calorie in take (more specifically “foofooy” coffee’s), this wasn’t he blog I wanted to run across on my nightly jaunts through my most frequented coffee blogs.

Brewed Coffee perused a topic I would have never ventured to begin. And though he did leave me hanging, once you start mite as well get every gross detail, I looked up all the calorie equivalencies for myself.

Mayo Clinic is very informational:

Coffee “extras”
(serving size 1 tablespoon)

Cream: Fat-6 Carbs-0 Calories-52

Half-and-Half: Fat-2 Carbs- 0 Calories- 20

Plain Nondairy Creamer: Fat-1.5 Carbs-2 Calories-20
(liquid)

Whole Milk: Fat- .5 Carbs-1 Calories-9

Fat Free Milk: Fat-0 Carbs-1 Calories-5

Sugar: Fat-0 Carbs-12 Calories-48


Starbucks Café Latte
Espresso (16 oz.)

Made with Whole Milk: Fat-14 Carbs-21 Calories-260

Made with Fat-Free: Fat-0 Carbs-24 Calories-160


Initially I didn’t want to get into all the artificial sweeteners but where is the fun in that.


Artificial Sweetener

Aspartame (NutraSweet, Equal): ADI-50 mg per kg Equivalent-18-19 cans of diet cola

Saccharine (Sweet’n’Low, SugarTwin): ADI-5 mg per kg Equivalent- 9-12 packs of sweetener

Acesulfame K: ADI-15 mg per kg Equivalent-30-32 cans diet lemon-line soda

Sucralose (Splenda): ADI-5 mg per kg Equivalent-6 cans diet cola

*Acceptable Daily Intake


So there you have it all the nasty sticky ins and outs of it.

1 comment:

kimberly s said...

UGH, I have been living on triple grande white chocolate mochas for the past year or so. Then I gained ten pounds. And freaked out. In analyzing my diet, I found that I was getting around 400 extra calories a day from my dearly beloved Starbucks drinks. Now I order my drink nonfat and no whip but it's still pretty anti-slimming. It's too bad that the "skinny mocha" tastes so horrible; the aftertaste kills me. But then so do the calories. The sugar-free caramel syrup isn't so bad, though...do you have any suggestions?