Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Way I See It #274

According to Katy Croff, as posted on the back of a Starbucks cup “The Way I See It #274” (let me know if you ever find #1) she says:


“People often ask me if it is worth it to work at sea , isolated from the world,
far from one’s loved ones, seasick, and running on three hours’ of sleep. To lay
eyes on something never before seen by anyone, to learn something new about our
plane, for that one moment of discovery—yes, its all worth it.”


Kathy is an Archaeological oceanographer and National Geographic Emerging Explorer, but when I first read her confession I thought of the life of any great writer/thinker/academic.


Its been said that no man is an island unto himself, yet without getting into anything philosophical, it is often on those lonely islands that the greatest thinkers have emerged. And I would agree with Kathy, in that as a critical thinker, when you stumble upon a great thought or idea, the results are worth the time and effort put in to it.

No comments: