Monday, February 11, 2008

Finnnalllly!!!

Admittedly I very rarely “hang out” at Starbucks when my study buddy is my computer. Mostly this is because of the outrageous prices for internet access. But according to the Associated Press this is about to change. It never made sense to me, despite the fact that I love Starbucks Coffee and Tea and even work there, to pay for my internet connection. There are a bazillion little coffee shops in every neighborhood willing and able to offer you free access in exchange for your business. It always seemed greedy to me of Starbucks to make you pay $10 an hour (or something close) for access. Granted this did, in my mind, cause a distinct and marked difference between quaint neighborhood café’s, and the Starbuck weed (I say that with the utmost affection). But Starbuck finally seems to be catching on. As of this spring the switch will be made from T-Mobile to AT&T who will be offering a mixture of two hours free internet access with the use of a Starbucks card followed by a $3.99 charge per hour after that. AT&T customers will get automatic access. So I guess now I will have no reason to leave work.

3 comments:

javaJoe said...

That is very exciting news. It never made any kind good sence to me either why I would need to pay for internet.

Michelle F said...

I always thought starbucks did give free internet access? Good thing I never went there with my computer; I would have been unpleasantly surprised. I'm glad they finally realized that people pay for their products and services so they should get something in return for that. Starbucks isn't the cheapest coffee shop around.

TNLogan said...

Hey, it might not be completely free, but for Starbucks, its pretty close! I've been waiting for them to catch on-- even McDonald's is offering free WiFi now!